A baby brings joy to a family but also lots of changes. Change can be challenging for pets. Preparing your pet when you’re expecting a baby is essential so they can be receptive.
Prepare Your Furry Friend for a New Family Member
Perform the following steps to prepare your pet when you’re expecting a baby when your pet is young:
- Provide your pet with positive experiences with other children who know how to be gentle with pets.
- Take your pet to an obedience class or teach your furry friend some basic commands such as sit, down, drop it, come and stay.
- Also, gently provide restraining hugs and handle your pet’s tail and ears.
Bringing Your Baby Home
Moreover, prepare your pet when you’re expecting a baby by gradually changing your pet’s exercise, feeding, and quality schedule to what you expect the plan will be when your baby is home. Some additional actions will also ensure a smooth transition for everybody when you bring home your child:
- The mom should first greet her furry friend alone without the baby to prevent the dog from jumping and minimize jealousy.
- Also, spend additional time with your pet. Make sure to play and take your pet for walks, show them affection through cuddling sessions, and review introductory obedience sessions.
- Plus, avoid leaving your pet alone with your baby.
Helpful Tips for a Happy Home
- Additionally, provide your furry friend plenty of physical and mental exercise. Just like children, dogs behave greater when they are stimulated. A tired dog is a happy dog!
- Furthermore, teach your child how to be gentle with your pet and continue monitoring their interactions.
- Plus, involve your kid in your pet’s routine care. They can help with feeding or changing the water in the water bowl.
- Make sure that positive things happen to your pet when your child is around.
- Lastly, give toys to your pet that do not look like the child’s toys to prevent confusion.
We Would Love the Opportunity to Care for Your Furry Friends!
Alexander Animal Hospital is a full-service animal hospital located in Severna Park, Maryland, serving the Severna Park, Pasadena, and Arnold Areas. Our goal is educating clients on the needs of their pets and understanding the importance of individualized veterinary care in order to strengthen the human-animal bond between owners and their pets.
We understand you have a choice when deciding on the care for your pets, and we strive to provide you with unparalleled services including wellness exams, vaccines, lost pet microchip ID, dental care, surgical services, digital radiography, and in-hospital laboratory services and diagnostics. Other highlights of Alexander Animal Hospital are the separate cat and dog waiting and exam rooms, as well as after-hours on-call emergency services.
Please take a look around our website and then give us a call at 410-777-8678 to set up an appointment.
We’re social! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest for all the latest updates!