Have you noticed that your calm pet is obsessively licking his paws? In addition, do those red rashes on your pet’s skin worry you? If any of these scenarios sound like you, your furry friend might suffer from allergies. The team at Alexander Animal Hospital wants to increase awareness of allergies in pets and ensure pet owners have the information they need on managing pet allergies.
Common Pet Allergies
An allergy is known as an overreaction of the immune system to an allergen that has entered the body. In addition, the most prevalent types of pet allergies include:
- Food allergy – Different foods can create allergic reactions in pets, mostly lamb, beef, corn, chicken, wheat, and soy.
- Flea allergy – Many pets are allergic to flea saliva.
- Seasonal/ environmental allergy – Particles in the air like pollen, mold, dander, or dust can trigger uncomfortable symptoms.
- Contact allergy – This allergy can also form due to direct inhalation or contact with specific chemicals like shampoos, cleaning products, or synthetic carpet fibers.
Symptoms of Pet Allergies
Furthermore, the signs your furry friend might be suffering from allergies include:
- Chewing, scratching, or licking at the face, armpit, feet, and groin
- Moreover, bumps, redness, or pimples on the skin
- Red, rough, or blackened skin
- Ear infections and hair loss
- Also, an unpleasant odor
- Frequent head shaking
Tactics for Assisting an Allergic Pet
If you believe your pet pal is experiencing allergies, contact us. We can assist you in determining the allergy type your best friend has and create a plan to control the symptoms. Besides immunotherapy and medication, follow these pointers for managing pet allergies:
- Grooming – Bathe your furry pet regularly with a hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner. Also, soaking their paws daily will minimize inflammation and keep pets from bringing allergens into the home.
- Environment – Reduce allergens in your home by dusting, vacuuming, and laundering pillows and pet beds more often.
- Parasite prevention – Make sure to apply a year-round flea and tick protocol on your pet.
- Acupuncture – The use of acupuncture can help on managing pet allergies by building your pet’s immune system.
- Nutritional counseling – At Alexander Animal Hospital, we are happy to provide in-depth dietary counseling to minimize your pet’s exposure to inflammatory ingredients that can trigger allergy symptoms.
We Would Love the Opportunity to Care for Your Furry Friends!
Alexander Animal Hospital is a full-service animal hospital located in Severna Park, Maryland, serving the Severna Park, Pasadena, and Arnold Areas. Our goal is educating clients on the needs of their pets and understanding the importance of individualized veterinary care in order to strengthen the human-animal bond between owners and their pets.
We understand you have a choice when deciding on the care for your pets, and we strive to provide you with unparalleled services including wellness exams, vaccines, lost pet microchip ID, dental care, surgical services, digital radiography, and in-hospital laboratory services and diagnostics. Other highlights of Alexander Animal Hospital are the separate cat and dog waiting and exam rooms, as well as after-hours on-call emergency services.
Please take a look around our website and then give us a call at 410-777-8678 to set up an appointment.
We’re social! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest for all the latest updates!