Whether you are taking your pet to the vet or want to have a safety plan in case of unexpected events, it’s important to enhance your pet’s safety through disaster preparedness. Alexander Animal Hospital wants to assist you to prepare for anything with the following disaster preparedness tips.
Prepare for Trouble Before It Happens
It’s important to include your pet in all of your disaster preparedness plans so you understand how to get them to safety in case of an emergency. Ensure to:
- Assign one family member to protect each pet
- Get your pet microchipped in case they get lost and ensure their microchip information is up to date
- Create a list of nearby accommodations that allow pets in case of an evacuation
Plan for Travel Emergencies and Accidents
Furthermore, ensure you plan for emergencies when you travel with your furry friend. For example, the outside temperature can harm your pet if your car breaks down or you were in a fender bender. Moreover, delicate pet paws can burn within seconds if the asphalt is hot. Also, freezing temperatures are too cold for your pet’s paws.
You can also enhance your pet’s safety while you’re away from home with these simple tips:
- Give your emergency contact information and any unique pet care needs to management
- Reach out to your emergency contact at least once each day if you are staying at a cabin or private retreat. Ask them how to contact a local veterinarian.
Unexpected Health Emergencies
Moreover, it’s always a great idea to enhance your pet’s safety by planning for unexpected health emergencies. Even if your health is good, your health emergency plan should include:
- Asking someone else to reach out to you at least once each day.
- Provide a copy of your house key or entrance code to someone you trust.
- Laminate a list of your furry friend’s name, emergency contacts, and special care needs so it can be accessible to first responders.
Enhance Your Pet’s Safety with a Weather Disaster Plan
In addition, you can’t always tell when a disaster will hit. How will you search for family and pets during a weather disaster?
- Assign a contact person outside of the disaster area.
- Keep a pet emergency kit in your car or another place. The kit should include leashes, food, water and bowls, current medications, and first-aid items.
We Would Love the Opportunity to Care for Your Furry Friends!
Alexander Animal Hospital is a full-service animal hospital located in Severna Park, Maryland, serving the Severna Park, Pasadena, and Arnold Areas. Our goal is educating clients on the needs of their pets and understanding the importance of individualized veterinary care in order to strengthen the human-animal bond between owners and their pets.
We understand you have a choice when deciding on the care for your pets, and we strive to provide you with unparalleled services including wellness exams, vaccines, lost pet microchip ID, dental care, surgical services, digital radiography, and in-hospital laboratory services and diagnostics. Other highlights of Alexander Animal Hospital are the separate cat and dog waiting and exam rooms, as well as after-hours on-call emergency services.
Please take a look around our website and then give us a call at 410-777-8678 to set up an appointment.